Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kitchen Creations

Lately I have really gotten into cooking. I have always enjoyed cooking, but not necessarily the process of making sure I have the right ingredients, meat thawed and enough time to prepare and cook the meal. Well, a few months ago I had a revelation. What if I planned out our weekly meals and made sure, ahead of time of course, that I had everything I needed for these meals? Why hadn't I thought of this sooner?! Well, this has been a life saver, not to mention I think Leon has enjoyed knowing what his next meal will be before it's on the plate in front of him. Usually I make out our weekly meal list the weekend before based on what new meals I have found, mostly thanks to Pinterst (www.pinterest.com), the greatest thing on the internet since Google (in my opinion at least). If you're not familiar with Pinterest, I'll be glad to tell you all about it but there simply is not enough time for me to go off on a tangent about Pinterest. Also, I found this link today to a weekly meal planner (http://733blog.blogspot.com/2010/09/another-freebie-from-closed-shop.html). Think I'll give it a try next week! Anyways, I wanted to share several of the recipes I've tried out lately. And best of all, every recipe has been simple, delicious and affordable! These are just a few of the recipes, so if you would like any additional recipes let me know.

Roasted Lemon Garlic Herb Shrimp
1/3 cup olive oil
1 lemon, zested then half cut into thin slices and other half into wedges
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed
sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
spaghetti/pasta, couscous or rice for serving
1 pound fresh shrimp, medium-sized, deveined with tails off (you will want them this way, it's worth paying the extra couple of bucks)
5 cloves garlic, minced
I served mine with brown rice and a side salad. Here is a link to the full recipe and instructions.

Honey Lime Chicken
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes), plus the zest of both limes
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 pounds of chicken (I used boneless skinless breasts, but use whatever suits you)
Full recipe here:
I served my honey lime chicken with grilled squash. Just add a little seasoning and throw the squash on the grill in some tin foil until it is soft. Since it is colder now you can always put it in a baking dish with some EVOO, salt and pepper and bake it on 375 for about 30 minutes or until soft.

Crockpot Potato Soup
1 30oz. bag of frozen, shredded hash browns
3 14oz. cans of chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 pkg. cream cheese {don’t use fat free. It WON’T melt!!!}
This was DE-LI-CIOUS!!! It made enough to eat for several days and it tasted just as good, maybe even better the next day.

Pumpkin Muffins
One Can of Pumpkin
One box of Vanilla Cake mix
*Mix the two together, pour into muffin tins and bake on 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes*
Yes, it is that simple and oh so delicious!!!

Again, these are just a few of the recipes I've tried out lately. I'll post some more later on, but in the mean-time give these a try and let me know how you like them!



No comments:

Post a Comment